9th of December, 2017 marked the auspicious occasion of the 165th birth anniversary of the Holy Mother; Sri Sarada Devi. This piece is a compilation of the eternal spiritual sayings of the Holy Mother. Every single utterance and the practical demonstration by her in several instances throughout Her life is a blessing and a spiritual teaching itself. The below excerpts are a few of those eternal teachings (taken from the book; Holy Mother, by Swami Nikhilananda) that continue to inspire us every moment, and assures all of us that we have a Mother. Let us take a look:
- When She was asked by a disciple if the mere repetition of the holy mantra (given by a Guru) is enough, even if the disciple does not have intense devotion. In that instance she said:
Whether you jump into water or are pushed into it, your cloth will be soaked, will it not?
- Mother always reminded us and emphasized that the true goal of life is to realize God:
The aim of life is to realize God and remain immersed in contemplation of Him. God alone is real and everything is false. God is one’s very own, and this is the eternal relationship between God and creatures. One realizes God in proportion to the intensity of one’s feeling for Him. He who is really eager to cross the ocean of the world will somehow break his bonds. No one can entangle him.
- Another saying of the Mother that always soothes and motivates us whenever we are in distress or in some trouble:
Whenever you are in danger or trouble, remember that you have a mother,” or, “Do not be afraid; the Master is behind you, and I am, too, as your mother.
- Once when asked about future disciples who will not be able to obtain Her blessings in person, she remarked:
What do you mean?” She continued saying, “Why will not they too succeed? God exists everywhere and at all times. Are people not realizing God in other countries.
- Holy Mother emphasized that we should have utmost love, surrender at His holy feet and sincere devotion while we repeat His holy name:
Before commencing your daily meditation, first, think of your utter helplessness and then slowly begin to meditate as directed by your guru.
- Another of Her saying that helps us always to cast aside our doubts and move ahead fearlessly in the spiritual life:
He who has prayed to the Master (Ramakrishna) even once has nothing to fear. By praying to him constantly one obtains ecstatic love, through his grace.
- The Holy Mother emphasized and inspired spiritual aspirants to practice renunciation from a young age. In that instance, she said:
Many think of God only after receiving blows from the world. But blessed indeed is he who can offer his mind, like a fresh flower, at the feet of the Lord from his very childhood. One should practice renunciation in youth. In old age, the body deteriorates and loses strength. The mind does not possess vigor. Is it possible to do anything then?
- We should ask God to free us of desires. She said:
One should desire of God desirelessness. Desire is the obstacle to liberation.
- Mother emphasized the regular practice of spiritual disciplines; Japa and meditation.
The mind will be steadied of itself if aspirants repeat God’s name fifteen or twenty thousand times a day. I myself have experienced it.
- Last but not the least, her boundless love for her disciples. On an occasion, she washed the plate of one of her monastic disciples (She was his Guru). To the protest shown by her women companions, Mother stated:
I am their mother. Who will look after the children, if not their mother?
This was one of such several instances of the practical demonstration of the highest love Mother had for others and a legendary illustration for us as for how to love others. Her love knew no boundaries; it was the same for all, irrespective of caste, creed, or religion.
Let me know in the comments, which teachings of the Mother inspire you the most?
Jai Maa 🙂